Thursday, November 27, 2008

Musings about winter and faith

The song in my heart as I awake to my day today is about faith. Wintertime always seems to have that effect on me. I reflect on the way that all of nature rests in winter, grass stops growing beneath the blanket of snow, trees stand bare and still without their leaves, many animals hibernate and flower bulbs lie dormant waiting for the spring sun. All of nature rests, waiting in faith for the season of sun to awaken them all from their sleep.

One of my all time favourite songs is the Rose by Bette Midler. There is one verse that goes... "When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long, and you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong, just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snows, lies the seed that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the rose." I love that song. I love the idea of hope and faith that there are seeds of potential within us that in time will blossom into great beauty. Mighty snow falls upon us but we do not rest. The urgency to soar weighs heavy on our chest. Not avalanche, or floods, nor heavy winds prevent Rising powers of strength within us, heaven bent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brr...the blue on this page makes me feel cold...or is that all the snow outside doing that?